Mouth Ulcers: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatments
Have you ever woken up in the morning and felt a sudden pain in your mouth? You run your tongue over the area, and just that touch of the tongue on the affected part causes you agony. You take your mirror, open your mouth wide, and fix your eyes on the mirror to see.
There it is. A small swelling. An ugly little thing it is. And it is causing you great torment. What is it?
It’s a mouth ulcer. A canker sore.
Have you ever experienced something like that? I know you have. But how did you get rid of it? It went away after a while, right? But what if I told you that you could have done something to ease the pain and also to make the ulcer go away faster?
That’s what I want to talk to you about today. How to get rid of mouth ulcers.
Is it Possible to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers Overnight?
The medical name for mouth ulcers/canker sores is aphthous ulcers. They are small lesions/ulcers that appear in your mouth, mostly at the base of your gums in the soft tissue.
You will also find them on the inner lining of your cheeks, on your tongue, or on the inside of your lips.
The sores are no-contagious. They are caused by poorly fitting dentures, hard food, a defective filling, or when you accidentally bite the inside of your cheek.
You don’t have to go to a hospital if you have canker sores. After one or two weeks, they should go away without any interference from you.
But can you get rid of your mouth ulcers overnight? Is there something you can do to them as you go to bed tonight and wake up back-to-normal tomorrow morning?
Not really. But it is certainly possible to lessen your agony and help your mouth heal faster. And that is what I am going to talk about next.
Best Ways to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers Fast
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a plant that has been used for its medicinal properties for years. Today it is even used in beverages, skin lotions and ointments. But I am not talking about any of these consumer products.
Look for the plant itself. It’s always a good idea to grow Aloe vera in the event of medical emergencies such as when you get canker sores. Alternatively, you could also grow it as a potted plant indoors.
Aloe vera contains anti-inflammatory bacteria and has curative properties that help ease your pain and reduce the inflammation while speeding up your healing process.
Cut off a fresh piece from an Aloe vera leaf, and squeeze out the juice directly onto your mouth ulcers. You should do this several times each day.
Another way would be making sure you rinse your mouth with fresh juice from your Aloe vera plant three times each day.
You can also purchase some Aleo vera gel from the market. Two tablespoons of this Aloe vera juice taken three times a day will be enough to speed you towards recovery.
Coriander is another plant that has healthful benefits for those who partake of it. What we call coriander is the dried seed of the Coriandumsativum plant. Coriander leaves are also useful as a medicine for many ailments.
It is considered amongst the best things you can use to self-medicate when a mouth sore is driving you nuts with pain. You see, coriander has antiseptic, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties which will help quickly rescue you from your anguish.
Here’s how you should prepare your coriander medicine:
- Fill one cup with water. Boil the water. Next, throw in a teaspoonful of coriander seeds. Give it a few minutes. Strain it. Every day, rinse your mouth with this coriander water three or four times.
- Fill a glass with water. Boil the water, having thrown in a handful of coriander leaves. After boiling, strain the solution, and then give the water several minutes to cool down. Every day, gargle this solution with lukewarm water at least three or four times.
- Another way would be to directly drink the juice of fresh coriander leaves several times each day. Don’t drink the juice in one sudden swallow. You should instead hold it in your mouth for a while, letting it soothe and work on the affected part.
Follow this regimen for a few days, and your mouth ulcers will be gone before you know it.
3. Clove Oil
Clove oil is another anesthetic you can rely on when you are suffering from unbearable pain Clove oil has eugenol, which is a painkiller used by dentists to relieve the pain while they extract your tooth.
Get the following ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.
- 4 to 5 drops of clove oil.
- Cotton balls.
- Warm water/saltwater.
Begin by washing your mouth with warm water or saltwater. Cleaning the mouth enables the clove oil to go deep in the area you are working on.
Next, mix the olive oil and the clove oil. Push a cotton ball in this solution and let it soak it up thoroughly. Take the soaked cotton ball, and apply for at least five minutes.
Another way would be to chew cloves. Doing this will also help you get relief from your pain.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda is indispensable for most of us. It has so many applications beyond its core purpose as a cooking ingredient. One of its additional applications is as a medicinal substance.
Did you know that the baking soda lying in a jar in your kitchen cabinet could help get rid of your mouth ulcer?
You see, baking soda is highly alkaline. It consists of sodium bicarbonate. And so baking soda is effective at neutralizing the acidity (sometimes mouth ulcers are caused by acid reflux) and soothing the pain and inflammation.
Here is what you should do:
- Mix a little water with a teaspoon of baking soda to form a paste. Apply this paste to your ulcer using a cotton ball – or just your fingers, if you don’t have the cotton ball. Give it a few minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water. Carry out this procedure three or four times each day.
- OR: mix two teaspoons of baking soda in a glass filled with warm water. Rinse this solution in your mouth. Do this four or five times each day.
Sage will soothe the affected area, giving you relief from pain.
Just follow either of these two procedures:
- Boil two cups of water, and add three teaspoons of powdered sage leaves. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Give the solution time to cool down to room temperature, and then rinse your mouth with it. Carry out this procedure three or four times each day.
- Alternatively, you could just apply powdered sage leaves directly on the affected area. Let it stay there for a few minutes.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that will prove indispensable in ridding you of your mouth ulcer.
Applying coconut oil is pretty simple. Begin by washing your hands. Dip a cotton swab into some coconut oil. Dab the wet cotton swab to onto your mouth ulcer. Try to make the coconut oil layer as thick as possible since coconut oil tends to melt rapidly.
Another way would be to melt down a tablespoon of coconut oil with a half teaspoon of beeswax. This will thicken the coconut oil and enable it to stick longer on the affected surface.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mouth Ulcers
1. Does Salt Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers?
Salt is one of the cheapest substances in the world. It has been in use for thousands of years as a medicine.
Here is the chronology of steps you should follow when using salt to get rid of your canker sores:
- Take a teaspoon of salt and add it to a cup of lukewarm water. Stir thoroughly.
- Rinse your mouth with this salt solution for not less than 30 seconds. It will disinfect your mouth. Spit out the salt solution.
- Next, you should take a pinch of salt and put it directly on the mouth ulcer. This will cause you some pain, but it will also aid faster healing.
Repeat this procedure four or five times each day, and it won’t be long before your mouth ulcer becomes a thing of the past.
2. Does Listerine Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers?
Yes. Listerine is also something you can use to treat your mouth ulcers.
By gargling Listerine in your mouth several times a day, you numb the sore. It also gives you fresh breath.
3. Does Honey Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers?
Most of us have honey jars in our kitchens. But did you know that the sweet substance also happens to have medicinal properties? Yes, honey contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties which are invaluable for getting rid of your mouth ulcer.
Dip a teaspoon into your jar of honey and carefully apply it around your ulcer. Mind you, this will hurt for a few minutes, but after a while, the pain and inflammation will begin to lessen. Carry out this procedure several times each day.
Method two. Take a teaspoon of honey and a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix them into a fine paste. Take the paste and apply it on your canker sore. Let it remain there for a few minutess before rinsing your mouth with lukewarm water. Do this two more times daily.
4. Can Antibiotics Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers?
Antibiotics are medicines used to treat infections caused by bacteria and other parasites.
Mouth ulcers may be treated with the antibiotic doxycycline. When taking doxycycline, you should drink a lot of water. You should also take it when standing or sitting up, lest the tablets cause irritation to your throat.
But since mouth ulcers are common and go away by themselves, most people prefer to follow the homemade remedies I have listed in this article rather than go to a doctor.
5. How to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers in Babies
When your baby has mouth ulcers, you can consult a doctor to get a proper dose of an over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
You can treat the ulcer with cold or frozen foods such as ice pops.
You can also apply a teething gel or cream. Apply it carefully and gently as touching the sore will hurt a lot.
6. How to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers Caused by Dentures
When your dentures are ill-fitting or of low quality, you might get mouth ulcers. Poor oral hygiene and eating hard foods can also cause cracks in the dentures, which leads to you getting mouth ulcers.
If you are suffering from mouth ulcers caused by dentures, most of the remedies I have already given you in this article will help you. For instance, salt, cloves, and Aloe Vera are all methods you can use.
Remember to remove your dentures every time you are applying any of the remedies. Other remedies that I have not mentioned include black tea bags and turmeric.
Massaging the gums also helps. It helps reduce gum swelling and improves blood circulation which reduces both the swelling and the pain. Use olive oil to massage the gums (olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties).
After the gum massage (applying the olive oil directly on the gums), rinse your mouth with lukewarm water. Do this twice or thrice daily.
What an education, huh? I have taken you through most of the questions you might have about mouth ulcers and how to treat them. Follow this remedies next time you get a canker sore, and you will dispense with it quickly and less painfully than if you just left it alone.