Good dental hygiene is essential for all children, especially if they wear braces. If you want them to still have their cute smiles after the braces come off, you will have to ensure everything is kept in check.
Children with braces face extra problems such as getting foot stuck between them, this can increase the likelihood of tooth decay and plaque build up. Bacteria and sugars can also latch onto the braces, again increase the chance of decay or even getting your child sick.
The most effective way to clean your children’s teeth is to use toothbrushes, who would have guessed it!
Its well know that everyone should brush their teeth at least twice a day in order to maintain healthy gums and strong teeth.
In A Hurry? This Is The Best:
- Eco-Friendly Oral Hygiene - Made from 100% natural materials, both our...
- Made to Last - Our kid's packages feature 6 individual bamboo...
- Soft on Little Teeth - Our BPA-free, charcoal-infused bristles are...
- Comfortable Bamboo Handle - Using bamboo's natural strength, Greenzla...
- Quality You Can Trust - Greenzla’s zero waste products are made from...
But what is the best toothbrush for braces?
Keep reading to find out…
Good toothbrush options for children with braces
I have listed four different toothbrushes that can be used for young children, each of them having their own unique features and drawbacks. All are brace friendly and safe for all children to use.
Philips Sonicare for Kids HX6311/02
- KidTimer increases brushing time slowly over 90 days, building toward...
- Kid-friendly power modes provide gentle cleaning that's right for...
- Age-appropriate brush heads specifically designed to gently clean and...
- Ergonomic design enables parents and kids to brush together or on...
The Philips Sonicare is one of the dearer children’s electronic brushes on the market, but it comes with more features than its rivals.
The first thing you want to look for when buying a toothbrush for any child wearing braces is to see the size of the head, and how soft the bristles are.
A smaller head is ideal for children as it can clean the teeth better and get into more places around the child’s braces. The bristles should be soft, as the gums of children are still weak and we don’t want them to bleed.
The Philips Sonicare scores well on both, it has a small head and a firm but not overly aggressive bristles.
A unique feature to this toothbrush is the timer feature, with this you can ensure your child brushes their teeth for the correct amount of time.
It comes with two speed settings, one for children aged between 4-7 and the second for children 7 and up. The design is pretty cool and I think this toothbrush will give your child a much better experience than using a regular boring toothbrush.
However it is a bit pricy and it a little bit bulky, so children with really small hands may have trouble gripping it, but other than that it’s a thumbs up from me.
Arm & Hammer (Crest) Kids Spinbrush
- CHARACTERS MAY VARY – brushes feature Mario and Yoshi
- NEW & IMPROVED SPINFAST TECHNOLOGY – new design spins nearly 20%...
- SOFTSWITCH – new power buttons are easy to turn on and prevent water...
- LASTS LONGER – new Kids Spinbrush design lasts more than 2x longer...
- POWERED BY DURACELL – one AA battery included and replaceable
The Arm & Hammer Kids Spinbrush is another electronic toothbrush designed solely for kids and is brace friendly. The bristles are soft and the brush head is small, ideal for children with braces.
The brushes unique selling point is the fact it comes with 141 stickers which lets the children design the brush anyway they like.
This is a good thing as it will encourage them to brush their teeth more often. Just be sure to tell them to only put the stickers on the brush, as I woke up one morning to find stickers all over my TV!
The brush is very cheap and as far as electronic toothbrushes goes, however you can’t replace the head and must buy a new toothbrush.
The brush moves slower than the Philips Sonicare but it can still remove plaque and unwanted food from a child’s braces and teeth.
Oral-B Kids Power Toothbrush
- Its distinct shape allows the toothbrush head to surround each tooth...
- With a waterproof handle, this electric toothbrush uses a Sensitive...
- Makes it a breeze for your kids to develop healthy brushing habits
- Use it with the Disney Magic Timer App by Oral-B, and your kids will...
The electric toothbrush comes in many designs such as the Power Ranges, Cinderella and Winnie the Pooh. Your children may see it more as a toy than a toothbrush.
The power the brush provides again is nothing compared to the Philips Sonicare but the price reflects that, it’s just a basic fun electronic toothbrush for children, small head and soft bristles.
Like the Crest, the Oral-B head also cannot be replaced.
Regular toothbrushes for Braces for Kids
Aside from the huge range of electronic toothbrushes, using a manual toothbrush can be just as effective for cleaning your child’s teeth and braces. They are much cheaper and you can set your own pressure and speed when operating.
Oral-B Orthodontic Toothbrush
- Contains 1 Soft bristle Ortho toothbrush, perfect for cleaning around...
- Long narrow neck for easy to difficult reach
- Comfort Grip for better control
- V-trimmed bristles for effective cleaning
- Oral-B, The brand more dentists use themselves worldwide
The only drawback to regular toothbrushes is that children find them boring, and it is critical for your child to brush teeth regularly if they have braces for healthier gums and strong teeth.
Almost every child I know hates brushing their teeth, I’m a grown-up and I still hate it! The biggest problem you will have using regular brushes is making it fun for kids and ensuring they brush at least twice a day.
Electronic toothbrushes interest them because of their cool, normal toothbrushes not so much. I would suggest encouraging them by playing mini games like who can brush their teeth the fastest in 1 minute, or how many full rotations in your mouth can you do in a minute. At least this way you can turn something children finding boring into something fun.
Do you need a special toothbrush for braces?
Which Oral B electric toothbrush is best for braces?
- Waterpik WP-950 Complete Care 7.0.
- Oral B 7000 SmartSeries Electric Toothbrush.
- Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 5100.
- Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Toothbrush.
- Philips Sonicare HealthyWhite Plus Electric Toothbrush.
- Oral-B Rechargeable Pro-Health For Me Powern Toothbrush.
Are electric toothbrushes safe for braces?
Should your teeth feel loose with braces?
How do you brush with braces?
What can you use for braces instead of wax?
How often should you brush your teeth with braces?
How do I keep my teeth white with braces?
Your child doesn’t need a special toothbrush if they have braces, but having something with a smaller head and soft bristles is ideal. Using bigger heads and firm bristles may cause bleeding and scare them into not wanting to brush their teeth again.
Let’s be honest, kids would rather be playing video games or doing something outside than trying to maintain their teeth and braces. The key is to try making brushing fun, this is why you see a common theme of all children’s brushes having cartoon characters on them.
From the toothbrushes reviewed today, all will do the job of keeping your child’s teeth and braces clean, however if you want to go the extra mile I would suggest getting the Philips Sonicare. The features are great and with its 2-speed system, you won’t have to buy another toothbrush for your child until he turns into a teenager, and by then you will have to worry about a 100 other things!